Biryani is one of my favourite Indian dishes, and I am sure it is yours as well. I have already discussed the history and origin of this lip smacking dish. Every state and every region has their own version, be it Hyderabadi or Bombay Biryani.
Delhi is of course the food hub and the culinary experts here create magical food every day. Purani Dilli ki Degi Biryani is one such unique biryani which includes food color and chilli pickle. They make this dish in deg (Huge cooking pots or vessel) and hence it is famous as Purani Dilli ki Degi Biryani.
|Basmati rice||500 gm|
|Nutmeg and Mace||1|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger and Garlic paste||3 tbsp|
|Dum Biryani Masala||3 tbsp|
|Nutmeg Powder||1 tsp|
|Semi thick Curd||200 ml|
|Fresh Mint||A bunch|
|Raisins and Cashew||20|
|Lemon Juice||2 tbsp|
|Ginger Juliennes||2 tbsp|
|Green chili and pickle||2 tbsp|
How to Cook Cook Cook!
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes
- Put all the whole spices and salt in the water and give it a boil
- Add the soaked rice in the boiling water
- Boil the rice and cook it to 70%
- Take the rice out of water keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a deg (a big cooking vessel)
- Add in cloves, cardamom, ginger and green chillies, with chicken pieces and roast for 2 minutes
- Add in ginger and garlic paste, dum biryani powder and roast on a high flame for 2 more minutes
- Once the chicken is almost done, add salt and 1 tbsp curd
- Mix yellow color powder with curd and beat together
- Pour in the vessel and mix with the chicken
- Layer the cooked rice on top of cooked chicken
- Add and hide the chilli pickle in the rice
- Seal the vessel with aluminum foil
- Cook on a low heat for 6-7 minutes
- Pour 3 tbsp ghee on top and cover for 10 minutes
- Mix the biryani and serve hot