Samosa is a staple streetside food in the entire of north India. They may be called Samosa or Singhara and prepared with or without peas and paneer in it but the essential flavour remains the same. You won’t find much difference in the filling in any of the cities in Northern India.
I always try to do something innovative when I am in the kitchen and that’s the place where I talk to all my ingredients. Essentially samosa has a crispy exterior and very moist filling and we can achieve the same texture in a pie as well. So instead of trying same old deep fried street side snack, I tried to give it a little of gourmet touch. Same filling, same flavour but in a new avatar.
This dish has two parts, pie and samosa filling. So let’s start with making crispy pie.
|All-purpose flour (Maida)||200 gms|
|Ice Water||4 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder (Zeera)||1 tbsp|
How to cook cook cook!
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and cumin powder in the bowl.
- Add the chilled butter and mix till you get bread crumb consistency
- Pour ice water litter by little. (You don’t need to knead the dough, just bring the mixture together and ensure that you can make a ball of your dough)
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Flour your kitchen counter or board, and roll the dough into a circle
- Ensure to not to make it too thick or too thin.
- Put it in a pie mould, if there is extra on top, don’t worry just chop it off.
- Prick your dish and freeze again for 15-20 minutes
- Once chilled properly, bake it for 15-18 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius.
- Take it from the over and let it cool for a bit.
Note: You’ll need a 9-inch pie pan, a rolling pin and dried beans. Your butter must be cold or frozen and cut in to cubes. If you are using salted butter then skip the salt from the ingredients.
|Mashed Potatoes||2 cups|
|Cooked Peas||1⁄2 cup|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Seed (coarsely pounded)||1 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1⁄2 tsp|
|fennel Seed||1⁄4 tsp|
|Grated Ginger||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Lemon Juice (optional)||1 -2 tbsp|
|Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)||4 tbsp|
How to cook cook cook!
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and pounded coriander seeds.
- When they start to get the brown colour, add ginger and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Add cooked peas along with turmeric, chiili powder and cumin powder.
- Add mashed potatoes and mix well till everything gets combined well
- Mix in salt and combine well.
- Lastly add garam masala powder for aroma and mix again.
- Remove from heat. Add in chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Add the samosa filling in the hot and crispy pie crust
- Top it up with hung curd (mixed with salt,chilli and zeera powder)
- Finish with mint chutney and some fresh chopped coriander