Vapa pitha (bhapa pitha) or puli pithe is the most simplest form of pithe made by Bengalis during Poush Parbon Vapa basically means steamed. This amazing dish is a kind of dumpling with the outer shell being made from rice flour and stuffing being prepared with jaggery and grated coconut. There can be several kinds of stuffing for Pitha, I have added poppy seeds for extra flavor and texture.
There are so many different versions of this amazing pitha and the one popular one is Modak from Maharashtra or Takeli Pitha from Assam.
|Rice Flour||1 Cup|
|Warm Water||¾ Cup|
|Fresh Coconut (scrapped/grated)||2 tbsp|
|Poppy Seeds||½ tbsp|
How to cook cook cook!
- In a small mixing bowl, add in salt and rice flour
- Sprinkle little water the mixture and mix it with your finger tip till it gets the bread crumb texture. When you take some mixture in your palm and press them, it will form a ball at first and then break down.
- For stuffing, mix jaggery, coconut and poppy seeds together.
- Make small balls or simply flatter the mixture and fill it with the stuffing. Ensure to not over fill it.
- Boil water in a streamer
- Steam pitha for 7-10 minutes
- Gently remove from heat
- Enjoy it hot and you can also pour some ghee on top
Note: If you don’t have streamer, use a large pot and cover it up with cheese or muslin cloth, and while steaming, cover it with lid.