One myth that North Indians have is that South Indian food is all about Idli and Dosa but they are totally wrong. South has so much to offer to vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Normal to spicy , simple to elaborate, deep fried to steamed. Every dish that South offers has so distinct flavor and unique textures.
Curd Rice is called Thayir Sadam and is one of the most comforting food. It is simple, quick and easy to learn for anyone who is hungry and doesn’t want to put in any effort. Usually left over rice is used in this dish but that doesn’t mean you can’t cook fresh rice for yourself to enjoy this amazing dish.
Recently I discovered True Elements and stumbled upon Quinoa and I ordered but then I wasn’t interested in eating it as salad only, so I replaced rice with Quinoa in my Thayir Sadam and trust me it tasted absolutely the same but much healthier. Try it out and let me know if you also enjoyed it as much as I did.
|Cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|Dry red chilly||2|
|Chana dal (Bengal gram)||1 tsp|
|Ginger (fine chopped)||½ tsp|
|Fine chopped cucumber||½ cup|
|Coconut Oil||½ tsp|
|Butter (or ghee)||1 tbsp|
|Mustard seeds (rai)||½ tsp|
|Dhuli Urad dal (Black gram)||1 tsp|
|Curd (thick)||1 cup|
|Coriander leaves||1 tbsp|
How to cook cook cook!
1. Wash quinoa 3-4 times or till water runs clear.
2. On a medium low heat, heat a pan. Add quinoa and 1 cup of water together. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, switch off the heat and let it cool.
3. Alternatively, Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and cool completely.
4. Heat ½ tsp of coconut oil and roast peanuts till they become golden brown. Take it out and keep aside.
5. Heat ghee and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chilly, curry leaves, chana dal,
urad dal. Roast the, till till dals become nice golden brown. Keep this tadka aside
6. Whisk the yogurt till it becomes smooth.
7. In a medium mixing bowl, mix cooked quinoa, curd, peanuts, cucumber, pomegranate, tadka, finely chopped ginger and salt.
8. Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve it chilled.