I hate summer, perhaps you won’t meet anyone else who hate summers as much as I do. But, it is the yellow sweet fruit, King of all the fruits, Mango which helps me survive. I look forward for this weather only because of mangoes and nothing else.
Summers always remind me of my childhood. If my brother and I are am coming home from school, we would first get to drink aam panna to cool our body down. I remember, we used to get all sorts of mangoes and fresh juicy litchi from our farm. I don’t think I used to eat any dessert but these two fruits. My mother would also serve me mango, roti and aam ras as my dinner and I would happily eat it.
As I always say, I don’t just cook to feed but rather cook to connect with diners. This is one amazing dish where I have tried to use local, fresh and seasonal ingredients.
|Kodo grains (optional)||¼ cup|
|Boiled Black Beans or Bhaat Daal||¼ cup|
|Yellow and Red Bell Peppers||¼ cup|
|Red onion (chopped marinated)||½ cup|
|Chopped Coriander leaves||¼ cup|
|Lime Juice||¼ cup|
|Rice wine vinegar or Jamun Vinegar||6 tablespoons|
|Smoked Mustard oil||6 tablespoons|
|Kasundi Mustard||2 tablespoons|
|Orange Juice||2 tablespoons|
|Salt||1 pinch (or to taste)|
|Cracked Black Pepper||To taste|
|Amaranth leaves||½ cup|
|Parmesan Cheese (optional)||To taste|
How to cook cook cook!
1. In a bowl, mix lemon juice, honey, kasundi, 3 tbsp of vinegar, orange juice, and smoked mustard oil.
2. Adjust the seasoning and keep the dressing aside.
1. Thinly slice a red onion and in a bowl cover with 3 tbsp of rice wine or Jamun vinegar vinegar for at least 30 minutes.
2. Rinse the grains with cold water and drain. Add them to 2 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for 18-20 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
4. Cut the ripe mangoes into small dice. Chop the bell pepper, marinated red onions and coriander and add to a bowl with the boiled black beans.
5. Add the cooled grains and amaranth leaves to the bowl and mix in gently.
6. Add the dressing and serve it.